Site Dedication - E. Bailey Tudder Obituary
Obituary for
E. Bailey Tudder

Published: Monday, July 8, 1996
Hampton (VA)
Daily Press

By
MADELINE M. BARNES
Daily Press

ELWIN B. TUDDER

NEWPORT NEWS - Elwin Bailey Tudder, Lt. Col., U.S. Army retired, born March 17, 1925, Bakersfield, Calif., died peacefully in his sleep in Newport News on the morning of July 2, 1996.

Bailey had a distinguished 24-year Army career beginning in 1943 and ending with his retirement in 1966. His military service began in World War II with duties in the Pacific, France and Berlin, Germany, where, in 1948 during the postwar occupation, he met his wife, Helen. During his years with the Army Finance Corps, he devised a pay system that was the precursor to the Direct Deposit and Allotment system that is used today. In 1956, he received his B.S. degree with honors from the University of Maryland, and in 1958 received his master's of business administration with honors from Harvard University. He was recipient of the Bronze Star for meritorious achievement and the Army Commendation Medal with two Oak Leaf clusters.

While stationed at Fort Monroe in the late 1950s, Bailey and his family were very active in the Peninsula Community Theater and the Boy Scouts of America. In 1963, after teaching at the Finance School at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind., the family was transferred to Orleans, France, where Bailey's course in scouting was firmly set. During his three-year tour of duty, he built a flourishing scout troop that touched the lives of many boys and young men. In 1966, after coming home to the United States, Bailey retired from the Army, settling on the lower Virginia Peninsula. Directly after his retirement, he began his career at Noland Corp. headquarters. Throughout his 26 years at Noland, the company actively supported his involvement with local and national scouting. Bailey retired from Noland in 1992.

During his years in scouting, Bailey served in many significant capacities. Among his many accomplishments and awards, he was instrumental in the development and expansion of Camp Chickahominy, the summer camp for the Peninsula Council. He served as unit commissioner to Scout Troop and Cub Pack 48 at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, where he was awarded the St. George's Cross for distinguished service to the church and scouting. He served as council commissioner for the Peninsula Council and as a member of the executive board of the Colonial Virginia Council. From 1967 to 1974, he was the adviser to Kecoughtan Order of the Arrow Lodge 463. The National Court of Honor of the Boy Scouts of America awarded him the Silver Beaver medal for distinguished service. He served on the staff of four national jamborees and remained active in many local and national scouting roles until 1994.

Survivors include: his wife of 48 years, Helen Alden Davison Tudder; daughter, Dale Tudder Scott; son-in-law, Lloyd Stanley Scott Jr.; son, John Mills Tudder II, daughter-in-law, Pamela Slade Tudder; son, Davison Lewis Tudder; sister, Barbara Tudder Kious of Northern California; nieces, W. Jacquelyne Kious and Patricia Kious; brother-in-law, Philip Nichols Davison Jr. of Northern Virginia; niece and husband, Billie Lorell Davison and Ralph Leslie Wallace; nephew and wife, Jeffrey Lee Davison and Darlene Chrisley Davison; nephew and wife, Philip Nichols Davison III and Rebecca Hill Davison; grandchildren, Nicholas Lloyd Scott, Jeffrey Palmer Tudder, Joshua Lee Tudder, Amber Leigh Tudder and Emily Rachel Tudder.

Memorial service will be held Tuesday, July 9 at 11 a.m. at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 45 Main St., Hilton Village. Interment is private.

Request expressions of sympathy be in the form of donations to the Colonial Council of Virginia, Boy Scouts of America, 11725 Jefferson Ave., Newport News, Va. 23606; or St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 45 Main St., Newport News, Va. 23601.

This web site is dedicated to the memory of E. Bailey Tudder, longtime Kecoughtan Lodge Advisor, and Dr. Ron Godby, former 463 Arrowman and co-author of the most comprehensive reference on Lodge 463 emblem issues.

The Kecoughtan Lodge 463 Emblems web site was created by Glenn Chase on an Apple Macintosh with absolutely zero Microsoft products. All images presented are protected with a digital watermark, and are the exclusive property of Glenn Chase, all rights reserved, unless otherwise noted. No commercial usage of these images is allowed without prior consent. Please send corrections/additions/suggestions to .

This page was last updated on: Jul 30, 2009, 04:31 AM

The Scout Patch Collector's Base Camp

Copyright © 1999-2017 Glenn Chase, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this electronic publication including text, graphics, database and underlying source code may be reproduced in any form without advance permission of the copyright holder. Use of this site constitutes agreement with its Terms and Conditions of Use.